Sunday, August 31, 2008

Our 2 hour drive to Mexico.

These are just some "real time" thoughts I had on the bus ride to Mexico City.
As I write this Naomi and I are on route from Queretaro to Mexico D.F. on Primera Plus, one of the premier bus lines with full on recliner chairs with room enough for a built-in ottoman, TV, a men’s and women’s bathroom and an online snack (sandwich and drink, more than most airlines do). I have long legs so it’s a treat to be able to stretch without kicking the person in front of me.
This morning we had a quick breakfast at a local café. The local radio station was crankin’ some great 80s tunes. Naomi got nostalgic when the theme song for “the Never Ending Story’ came on. I asked for butter for my toast and they gave me a small container of melted manteca. Who knew you could eat shrimp without the shrimp. I dipped away, better than spreading.
I just want to mention Naomi’s and my skills as therapists came in handy last night. We helped a woman who was staying at our hotel come down from a panic attack. We were able to normalize it for her and stayed with her until she felt better. She was from France along for a vacation with her partner/friend. Very nice people. BTW Naomi’s Spanish is getting better by the day. She fearlessly gets into conversations with people and is able to hold her own I’m tempted to help but I just stand back. Only when she turns to me and says “Como se dice…” She’s cute and she’s all mine.
Mexico is treating us very well and we’re able to get around very easily (of course it helps to hablar español.
Some have inquired what the bejeezus we’re doing moving to Mexico. Well let me give you the tight concise version. I won a Fulbright Scholarship for the academic year 2008-2009. Naomi and I are going to be working along side Mexican therapists, learning how things are done down here in the mental health field. If you want a more detailed version of the proposal click here to get a pdf version of my proposal.
The Fulbright orientation in Mexico is supposed to introduce us and welcome us to the Mexican Culture. I am so looking forward to it.

No comments: